Thursday, December 28, 2006



Day 1










Christmas Eve Landing
(The tree in the picture is the most photographed tree in Equatorial Guinea. Check out the size of the roots. My dad (on right) stands about 6 feet tall, and he looks absolutely Liliputian compared to the tree roots. This tree is on his farm)


I began my descent south into the continent of Africa on Sunday. Wow! This is a part that I cannot explain in words because it is so fantastic. I was lucky enough to get a window seat on the plane and thus spent nearly 5 hrs. with my forehead plastered to the window looking down. I couldn’t tear my eyes away from the sights for fear I might miss something.

The plane flew over Morocco and the Atlas Mountains. The most exciting part was when we flew over the Sahara desert for almost 4 hrs at about 600 miles per hr. That is one dang gigantic desert! The Sahara turned into the Sahel which in turn became a thicker rainforest.
When I landed in Malabo airport all I saw around me was a sea of emerald! I forget how green the deep African rainforest is.

And the heat….100 degrees temperatures with 99 percent humidity should only be suffered by trussed turkeys in the oven.


Answer these questions and earn up to 6 points that you can use to clean up any assignment before your mommy sees your grades at semester’s end:

  1. 2 pts: What does the word Sahel mean?
  2. 2 pts: In what language?
  3. 2 pts: Why is this region called the Sahel?
  4. Be the first to answer the questions in the comment box and take the points home

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

The Sahel (from Arabic ساحل, sahil, shore, border or coast of the Sahara desert)

Anonymous said...

The world sahel means A semiarid region of north-central Africa south of the Sahara Desert. Since the 1960s it has been afflicted by prolonged periods of extensive drought.

In sahel the speak the bantu languange

The region is called sahel because they prasied the "Lady of Sahal"

Anonymous said...

1.Shore, border or coast of the Sahara desert
2. Arabic
3.Because it is the border between the Sahara and the Sudan
4.Be the first to answer the questions in the comment box and take the points home

Anonymous said...

Extra Credit: Dayle
1]The Word Sahel Means Shore.
2]The language is Arabic.
3]This region is called the Sahel because it is the transition zone between the desert and the more humid savannas and woodlands.